Statisticians are in high demand in a wide variety of fields. As the largest professional association for statisticians in the world, the American Statistical Association (ASA) serves as the main clearinghouse for information about internships, careers, and employment for the statistical profession. Following are several web pages on which you’ll find career and employment opportunities.
- Internship Listing—Every December, a list of internship opportunities for students is published in the ASA’s membership magazine, Amstat News. The list also is posted in the education area of the ASA’s website, along with additional listings as they come in.
- JobWeb—A targeted database and résumé-posting service helps you take advantage of valuable career opportunities.
- Professional Opportunities Listing—Job placement ads appear online and in the printed issue of Amstat News. To view the latest job placement ads in Amstat News, download a PDF of the current issue.
- JSM Career Placement Service—Each year, the Joint Statistical Meetings offers the Career Placement Service, a full-service recruiting facility for employers and job seekers. Hundreds of qualified applicants look to the service to begin or further their careers in statistics. If you are a statistician looking for a first or new job, then come to the Joint Statistical Meetings and be part of the placement service.
- Accreditation—Offered to ASA members, accreditation is a voluntary credential that provides peer recognition.
- Salary Information—Salary surveys are conducted by the ASA of its membership. This salary information is for statisticians, employers of statisticians, and students in the United States.
For more career opportunities, visit the ASA’s Career Center.