The International Association for Official Statistics is sponsoring a competition for the best paper in the field of official statistics written by a young statistician. In addition to the monetary prize, the first-place winner will receive travel funds to present the paper at one of the sessions at the World Statistics Congress in Marrakech, Morocco, in July 2017.
Submitters should address, and propose solutions to, pressing methodological or strategic issues in the area of official statistics at the national or international level.
The paper must be 10 or fewer pages in length, be submitted in English, and not have been previously presented in a public forum or published.
A maximum of three co-authors is allowed for a paper. An author can participate in only one paper. The author or authors of the best papers will be awarded the following:
- A cash prize valued at $1,640 (divided among co-authors, if applicable)
- An opportunity to present the paper at an IAOS session at the 2017 IAOS conference, with airfare and hotel accommodations provided (for one author only in situations of co-authorship)
- Two years of IAOS membership
- A certificate of award from the IAOS acknowledging success in the competition
The following prizes also may be awarded to those in second and third place:
- 2nd Place – A cash prize valued at $1,093, two years of IAOS membership, and a certificate
- 3rd Place – A cash prize valued at $547, two years of IAOS membership, and a certificate
Prize-winning papers will be considered for publication in the statistical journal of the IAOS.
To be eligible, authors (and co-authors) must meet the following criteria:
- Be under the age of 35 on December 15, 2016
- Be employed by an official statistical agency on December 15, 2016
Papers must be submitted by December 15, 2016. Details and submission instructions are available on the IAOS website.